Saint Thomas Academy seeks a Full-time Spanish Teacher, grades 9-12, for the 2019-20 school year. The qualified candidate will be willing to embrace the mission of Saint Thomas Academy and the philosophy of the World Language Department.
Saint Thomas Academy employees advance the mission of the Academy by developing the intellectual, spiritual, moral and physical potential of each cadet, and by cultivating the practice of leadership so that each student has the skills and confidence to be a leader.
· Support Saint Thomas Academy and the St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese’s mission and goals and actively articulate them to the Academy’s constituents and the wider community
· Actively participate in World Language department functions of the Academy
· In support of the mission and goals of Saint Thomas Academy, employees will follow all school policies and procedures
· Provide leadership consistent with Catholic teaching; practicing Catholic in good-standing with the Church preferred
· Prepare purposeful and appropriate lesson plans that provide for effective teaching strategies and maximize time on task
· Utilize a variety of instructional techniques to meet the individual needs of students
· Create a classroom environment conducive to learning by employing a variety of appropriate teaching strategies
· Encourage student enthusiasm for the learning process and the development of good study habits
· Recognize learning problems and make referrals as appropriate
· Use effective oral and written expression
· Assist in the ongoing curriculum revision process
· Utilize technology and current research in instruction
· Maintain course work information and communications on department website
· Provide additional time beyond the regular schedule for students in need of assistance
· Develop guidelines, reasonable rules of classroom behavior and appropriate techniques that are consistently applied
· Take necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities
· Manage student behavior in the classroom and on all school premises and apply appropriate and effect measures in cases of misbehavior
· Maintain contact and communication with parents through parent-teacher conferences, telephone, e-mail and written communication
· Evaluate accomplishments of students on a regular basis using multiple assessment methods
· Provide progress and interim reports as required
· Respect the confidentiality of records and information regarding students, parents and teachers in accordance with accepted professional ethics and state and federal law.
· Participate in professional growth, in-services, workshops and staff development opportunities to improve knowledge of subject matter, maintain professional licensure and improve best practices
· Cooperate with administration in planning appropriate in-service training programs
· Attend faculty, department and committee meetings as required
· Appropriate degree and experience working with middle and/or high school students required
· Advanced degree and appropriate licensure preferred
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resume and references to:
Deborah Berglund, HR Payroll and Benefits Specialist, Saint Thomas Academy, via firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to 949 Mendota Heights Road, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
Position will remain open until filled.
About Saint Thomas Academy
Saint Thomas Academy is a Catholic private school located in Mendota Heights, MN that offers college-preparatory, military/leadership for male students in grades 6-12. For more than 130 years, the Saint Thomas Academy community of students, parents, faculty, and alumni has prepared young men to succeed in college and life in an environment shaped by the message of Jesus Christ. Saint Thomas Academy's tradition, discipline, and spirit influence the life of a young man long after graduation.